Monday, August 11, 2008

Potty Training Day 2

My first thought - What in the world have I got myself in to???

This is how the day started:
7:50 - Kinley wakes up
8:00 - Kinley changed from diaper into her "big girl undies" and begins breakfast (no liquids involved)
8:15 - First accident
8:20 - Get first accident cleaned up
8:25 - Second accident, even bigger than first
8:30 - Second accident cleaned up
8:31 - Time turns into a blur of peeing and cleaning up 
9:00 - Kinley makes accident number 5 and we have no clean underwear for Kinley

So I ask, is it even possible to have 5 accidents in an hour?  Honestly, who can pee that much?  So as we sat with 10 pairs of pee soaked underwear in the wash, I started to notice how frustrated Kinley was.  She wouldn't even look at the potty.  I decided that we would just take the day off and try again tomorrow, or maybe in a week or so.  Despite all of the articles and books I read, I'm thinking that my 2 year old isn't quite ready, and to my surprise, I think she's even more frustrated with the process than I am.

So, before we give up all hope, I'll leave with a question.  How many accidents should one expect in a day while potty training?
 


3 comments:

Courtney said...

We had 18 accidents on day one and 5 hits. By the end of the first day I no longer gave her new panties. Panties became a privilege and she had to earn them back by peeing on the potty. When she wasn't wearing panties she couldn't sit on furniture or on Mommy's lap. Needless to say she wanted to earn and keep those panties.

Anonymous said...

I did always leave her potty chair in the bathroom. One thing that you could try that worked to get Madi's confidence up was when I would give her a bath, I would turn the water on and have her try right before she got in. That always got the juices flowing. The other thing that finally hit me when I first started training her and it WAS NOT WORKING. Was the fact she wasn't even as tall as the toilet. How could I think she could really get up there. (she was 22 months). When she finally did get potty trained on her own time, she ONLY used the big potty. I think that helped her feel big too. It's different for everyone! I know I'm not the best mom out there, it took me a whole year to figure things out. But it just broke my heart when she would get so frustrated. That is when I pulled back for awhile. I encouraged it always, and PRAISED her like crazy when she did make an effort! But tried not to get upset when it wasn't working. Just know that my second baby was BEAUTIFUL! Madi potty trained her 100% She was done by 26 months. I LOVED IT!

thatredhead said...

Jonah had 12 accidents the first day. I feel your frustration. How can a little person possibly pee so much?? After 3 days of hell, Jonah got it down and totally fine now. Of course, he is 4 1/2. Kinley is only 2. So i think you are mighty brave to battle with a 2 year old on the toilet. I'm terrified to train my 2nd. Eeesh. Its such a gross unsanitary part of parenthood. The day before potty training i bought 2 bottles of bleach and a canister of clorox wipes. Paranoid much?
Good luck! Hope to see you on the 30th with the rest of the gang!
-Ember