Sunday, August 3, 2008

Lucky Number 7

While in high school and college, several of my friends would joke that I changed boyfriends more often than they changed underwear. In college, thanks to a good friend/neighbor, I was diagnosed with the "high and dry syndrome". I'm sure you are unfamiliar with this. Basically, it means you date a boy/girl until they are really interested in you and then you "Seinfeld" them and find silly reasons that you are no longer interested (wear too many vests, always show up at the library when you're studying, etc.) and then leave them "high and dry". I actually dispute ever having this syndrome, but I'm sure there will be some comments to the contrary.

During my sophomore year of college, I was talked into taking Interdisciplinary Physical Science from the world's most boring teacher. The class was once a week for 3 hours. I sat right behind this boy with the most bleached out hair I had ever seen, but he was still pretty cute. Lucky for me he was very outgoing and would shout out the most ridiculous answers for the class to laugh at (such as comparing sediment to Jell-o). This allowed us to introduce ourselves and he decided he needed somebody to study with because his first test didn't go over so well. After the first time he came over to study, I was telling my roommate that I thought he was cute and I had a bit of a crush on him. She replied, well, he is cute and very funny, but I give him 1 week and you'll be through with him.

Well, for everybody's info, this white haired boy and I have now been married for 7 years. Yep, that's right, I am now old enough to have been married for 7 years. I've heard several times that Rich and I are "quite a couple". I'm assuming this means that he and I are quite opposite and I'm also assuming that people find it odd that we ended up together. It's true, we are very different. Rich is content to pile his clothes up on the hamper while I try my hardest to ensure that mine are organized into groups, short sleeves, long sleeves, button up, dressy shirts, and of course by color. Rich is a law and history kind of guy while I tend to be a science geek. Basically, we're Darma and Greg (me being Greg of course).

On more than one occasion we've said that things would be a lot easier if we were more similar, but really, what fun would that be. I think that Heavenly Father knew exactly what we both needed. Rich needed somebody to help "clean" him up (and also drag him through that last semester of law school) and I needed somebody teach me to be a bit more laid back. All in all, I think we compliment each other very well. Our offspring on the hand may not stand a fighting chance at turning out "normal", but we think she's pretty cute.

So on this day I am very grateful for a Heavenly Father that knows what is best for me and what I need; a wonderful husband that I get to put up with and who puts up with me; and wonderful family and friends to share our lives with.

Happy Anniversary Rich...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love it! That is such a cute story! Tomorrow is my 8th Anniversary. That is funny! Well I hope you have a great day! CONGRATS!

katielovie said...

oh-that's so cute!!! Hope you both have a great anniversary!! :)

Karole said...

You've been a busy woman!!! Moving, birthdays, anniversaries...how have you been able to keep up? When life get's crazy it doesn't stop! I bet you love your house. It's so nice to have a place you can call home! Congrats on 7 years of happiness. Can you believe that we have all been married that long? Where does the time go? The past 5 years have gone by soooo fast. If the next 5 go by as fast as the first 5 I will be crazy. I will have a 10 and 11 year old. It's so weird to think about!!! Anyway, sorry for the random comments. Good luck with everything!

Emily said...

Wow, I am glad I finally read your blog and got caught up on your life. Happy Anniversary! You remember we celebrated our 7th as well on the 1st. Also, Happy Birthday to Kinley! Congrats on the purchase of the house! It looks fantastic and I love the painting. We'll have to come and see you guys! How long does it take to drive there? Wow, what a busy time for you guys!

Anonymous said...

YOU ARE WELCOME IN OUR FAMILY ANY TIME! That is not how we are all the time! That was just one jam packed day! How was your Anniversary? I hope good!

katielovie said...

Thanks! i asked my doctor (he's in my ward!!) and he told me to buy just sunscreen and then a moisturizer. SO, i got "SunWear FACES Oil-free daily sunblock lotion." by Banana Boat and settled with an SPF 30, he told me that anything about 40 was pretty much useless. And i just got a seperate Moisturizer with an SPF 15. maybe both of them combined? idk