Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Pity...party of 1

Today I will be hosting a Pity Party for myself.  The party does not have set hours because I'm just not sure exactly long I will be feeling sorry for myself.  The theme of the party is "Episcleritis", which is the world's most annoying eye problem.  Basically, they don't know exactly what causes the stupid eye problem (symptoms include seriously disgusting red eye and a feeling of having vinegar rather than tears in your eye) but they do know that contact lens wear aggravates the condition.  I have been struggling with this stupid thing for 2 months, which means 2 months of no contacts for me.    

I hate wearing my glasses.  I hate that I can barely see myself in the mirror while I get ready.  I hate having to push them up all the time.  I hate that Kinley is constantly touching them and leaving tiny little fingerprints on them.  I hate that if it is raining or snowing I am constantly having to dry my glasses.  I hate that when I look up or to the side everything is still blurry.

So, why the pity party after 2 months of this.  Well, I just received word from the eye doctor that I just might not be a "contact wearing person anymore".  What?  No more contacts?  Hmm, that just really isn't going to work out for me.  So, how about this?  I do one more round of steroid eye drops and try and put those bad boys in again.

Well, it looks like it is time for the party to start.  I guess I'll go drown my sorrows in a nice cold Diet Coke and a bowl of candy corn. 

9 comments:

Leslie said...

Oh, I am so sorry. I know how you feel. You should just go for the surgery and be done with all of it.
But for the record you look good in your glasses, so that is a plus!! And think of all the memories you are making with all those fingerprints. And the best part is when you walk into a warm house from the cold outside and you are so fogged up, you can't see for 30 minutes, or until your face warms up:)
ENJOY the diet coke and candy corn.

Joni Wiedrich said...

I will join your pity party. I have been told that I too will probably have to stop wearing contacts someday and I wanna cry just thinking about it! I've worn contacts for about 17 years.

I hope that the eye drops work for you. If not, I'm with Leslie. Go for the surgery. I'm hoping to get it done soon myself. Good luck!!

Janae said...

Yum, candy corns. Sorry about the eye infection. I bet you are a "sluthot" in your eye glasses. Caleb decided to "fix" my glasses and now when I put them on I can only see out of one eye. Good luck!

Emily said...

I feel for your pain. I had only 2weeks of wearing my glasses because of eye problems and I went insane!!! I did the steroid drops the first week and then the second week they said my eyes were bothered because the perservative in the steroid. So they had me put "Systane" eye drops in my eye very couple of hours. And wow...after that my eyes were better than they've been in the last year. My astigmatism decreased and so I no longer have to wear toric lenses! Have you tried using those eye drops? I was amazed at the outcome....and maybe it could help you too. I hate to see a fellow contact wearer in pain. Good Luck!!!

katielovie said...

I'm sorry Sis. Friess!! That really sucks. I absoutly HATE wearing my glasses!! I have to wear the most hydrating contacts 'Acuvue Oasis' that they have available. good look! : )

Kurt and Kristy said...

Man I feel for you!! I hate wearing my glasses too! I agree with the surgery thing! Then you wont ever have to worry about it!!

thatredhead said...

No more contacts? Sucks so bad, huh? I cant wear contacts anymore either. I blame it on having children. After having my second, i would get pounding headaches whenever i would wear contacts, so i'm just counting down the days until i can get lasik. and it is still a long ways away. until then, i too will endure the raindrops on my lenses, grubby kid fingerprints, and constantly pushing the stupid things up my nose. ugh. i'm joining your pity party!

Kristine said...

I am so sorry! I was diagnosed with a funky viral eye disease when I was pregnant with Kira which of course meant no contacts for me,either. My symptoms sound very similar to yours but I am lucky to be in remission for the time being. Surgery sounds like a good option for you. Good luck!

Lacy said...

A bowl of candy corn? That is my kind of girl. Sorry about the pity party, I am sure you won't let the party go on too long.