Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Mourning a loss

Today is a sad day for the Friess family. I have been informed that a family friend has suffered severe injuries and it looks as though they may not survive. We have been friends for nearly 11 years and had some very good times, one of my most loyal and reliable friends. I am of course speaking of Little Purple, my very first car. Shortly after turning 16 my parents bought me a 1997 Ford Escort is a very snazzy shade of purple (hence the name Little Purple, also known as Barney). Little Purple was a great car, very reliable and had a lot of fun growing up in Sanpete County with me. We sold Little Purple to my nephew about a year ago and she moved to Wyoming. Keenan was taking very good care of her and from what I hear, she was enjoying her new life in Wyoming, even the food fight that Keenan got her in.

Recently Purple was hit by a neighbor and was taken to the car hospital (a.k.a the autobody shop) for a quote. Turns out some jerk thinks that to repair her would cost more than she is worth. Of course he does not realize that Purple is priceless. So, Purple was pronounced totalled and I guess they will look into other options for reviving her. So I guess she's been put on "life support" now and will wait for a belated Christmas miracle.

So in honor of Little Purple, I will be listening to "No Diggity" by Blackstreet today, one of her favorites, and holding a memorial service. All of you that would like to offer your support, please feel free to find any appropriate outlet. And for you Purple, thank you for holding my smelly old sneakers, my dirty cleats, letting me spill pop in you, allowing me to play my music too loud and drive you too fast. And I forgive you for that time you broke down at the airport at midnight while I was 8 months pregnant in that awful rain storm. May you rest in peace.

Little Purple
February 1997 - December 2007
I love you, you love me, we were a happy family

5 comments:

Janae said...

We mourn your loss. May purple rest with all of the other great cars in our lives. Josie still asks when we are getting our big green truck back. She likes the sound of it better than our new car.

Nat said...

Very touching little tribute! I do actually remember your great little purple! May she rest in peace. Hope you make it through this difficult time. We're thinking of you!

Joni Wiedrich said...

I am very sorry for yours and Rich's loss. I will be mourning with you. Purple was a great little car. No other Escort would have had the audacity to call itself a "sport" edition.

Evige said...

I'm so sorry for the loss. I made many trips to Chipotle in little purple (although I wondered why people looked at us funny when two guys exited). Purple will be greatly missed.

Matt

Lindsey said...

How sad... did you know that I drove a hot pink escort in high school with matching wheels? It was also totaled shortly after it was sold to a reckless driver... so sad.