Sunday, September 23, 2007

Eczema help

Well we are the proud parents of a beautiful bundle of joy who was unfortunate to have been cursed with eczema. I find it to be one of the most frustrating things. She wakes up, has huge red patches all over and just scratches them all day. Then I proceed with my "concoction" of every kind of lotion I can think of (frangrance free of course) and add in some cortizone cream from time to time. Well, no more! I have received some wonderful advice from a friend who is a nurse practitioner and decided to share for the benefit of any of you that have the same problem.

So, here is the new regimen. I had been trying to bathe less often thinking it would dry her out more. I was told to give her a bath every night, let her air dry, and have her lotioned within 3 minutes of being taken out of the tub. She suggested the Aveeno with the green on the bottle, I however had already purchased an Aveeno for babies with dry skin and am using it. I just drain the bath tub water and begin lotioning when it's gone. Kinley loves it because it turns the tub into a great slippery slide. Of course, watch baby carefully because they are very slimy and slippery. This new piece of advice has restored some of my sanity. Kinley's skin is looking fantastic. She does still have a little trouble behind her knees, so an occasional use of cortizone is still necessary, but all in all, we've got some smooth skin at our house.

4 comments:

Rammells said...

So what is the regime for Rich? His skin really has a great shine.

Matt and Evige said...

You didn't call Val? I'm sure you could ask her for advice too.
Evige

proudmamablogga said...

Dani has eczema too. (I'm glad you spelled that, b/c I didn't want to try). So I am confused, though. Do you let her air dry before the lotion or not? I had made her baths less frequent too. So every night, huh? Did she say why? I had different advice, but I'm willing to try anything.

Lindsey said...

That's good advice; I had eczema really bad as a baby, so I'm hoping our baby doesn't get it. I'll have to try that if the need arises!
Lindsey