Friday, May 16, 2008

The mottos we live by

As I look back over my life, I find that there were certain quotes or mottos that I would live by.  During high school my motto was "fake it until you make it".  A handy quote given as a pre-game thought.  Whether it was trying to figure out what in the world Mr. Staker was talking about in chemistry, or trying to find confidence during a serious hitting slump, I'd simply fake it until I made it.  In all fairness to Mr. Staker, if I had maybe talked a little less and paid attention a little more, chemistry might not have been so difficult.

Then in college I fully embraced the saying "a place for everything and everything in its place".  We all know I am just a wee bit OCD, so I'm sure you all see the appeal of this.  Isn't it so nice to know where everything is and just feel the peace that comes with excellent organization.  After marrying Rich, this motto became a little bit more difficult to live by since Rich doesn't share my passion for organization.  Bless his heart though, he makes many great attempts to live by the motto, but also to help me loosen up a bit.  I must say that organizing Kinley's dresser was one of the truly great days of pregnancy for me.  I have Kinley's dresser perfectly organized, bottoms in one drawer organized by type, same with shirts, jammies, etc. 

During the April General Conference, Elder Ballard gave an excellent talk targeted towards mothers.  In this talk he quoted a mother who said that she "wished she had enjoyed the "doing" more and the "getting it done" a little less".  What a perfect new motto for this stage of my life.  I think it is time to let go of my old motto and change the way I look at things.

Recently Kinley has turned into mommy's little helper.  She loves to help unload the dishwasher, make my bed, put my shoes away, and any other chore I can find for her. Typically she races to unfold the clothes faster than I can fold them.  This week, she decided to mix it up and actually try and help me.  I folded the entire batch of colors while she folded 1 washcloth (we are working on her speed).  As soon as I was done, she immediately grabbed the stack of her jammies and headed up the stairs.  I thought this was amusing, so I grabbed an armful and followed.  When we reached her bedroom, she dropped all of the jammies, opened the jammy drawer, then just chucked them all in.  Oddly enough, none of the pajamas stayed folded and none managed to make it in the correct position in my column and rows system.  I would usually view this scene with my normal eyes and see nothing but chaos in that drawer.  However this day, I was trying out my shiny new mommy eyes.  What my mommy eyes saw was this beautiful little girl beaming with pride, jumping up and down and clapping wildly.  She was so pleased with herself and I could see her sense of accomplishments.

I have had my mommy eyes for nearly 2 years now, but I just didn't know how to use them properly.  I am proud to say that Kinley's pajama drawer is still a disaster and that I'm okay with it.  I'll take a look of pride in her work over a perfectly organized drawer any day (any day being the day she is old enough to comprehend the columns and rows system).   

7 comments:

Emilee said...

Well Marlyce, I have had my mommy eyes for 4 years and somedays are definitely better than others. I like your new motto. I definitely need to work on this one more. You are a great mom!

Marisa said...

Kinley must get together with Ella and reorganize together. She puts her clothes away the same way and oh so proud of herself. Her new favorite naptime ritual is to get everything out of her top drawer and put her socks on her feet and her unused, just for decoration, underwear over her pants. 2 or 3 pairs if possible. Oh well.

Janae said...

I didn't know I was supposed to have a motto? Maybe mine is, "vomit until your eyes pop out and then smile because you only have around 70 days left of puking!" I just taught Josie how to organize her underwear drawer and she had a little boyfriend over and had to show him how cool it was. I think I scared him a bit.

Lindsey said...

I loved that talk, too. It's so easy to forget that, but when you think of it, it's really pretty easy to enjoy life as a mom. I read this the other day: every day with your children might not be perfect, but you can have perfect moments with your children everyday. I thought that was good.

P.S. Your post on irony was SO funny! Jake and I both thoroughly enjoyed it.

P.P.S. We need to get together! We have a present for Rich, I think he'll love it!

Cynthia said...

So after all that big talk about sicking Esther on me, I was a little disappointed that my email wasn't flooded with messages from you and Re-noodle. If you don't contact me soon, we will totally be in a fight. However, I did enjoy your post...you are very insightful.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny! I love reading your blog! I hope you had a great Memorial Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

Hey There!

I came across your blog and wanted to say hello! Your little girl is so cute!! They grow up so fast hu! I love these blogs, it is so nice keep in touch with family and friends and see what everyone is up to! I love your mottos. I agree about the enjoying the doing a little more. that is something I need to try to do better at. hope to talk to you soon. hope all is going well!

<3 Julia