Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The Supposi-Story

I guess I will be joining the ranks of parents that share embarrassing stories about their children.  Lucky for me, mine can't read yet, and I'm sure I can erase any record of this by the time she can.  Poor little Kinley came down with a case of the "no poops" this week, a.k.a., she's constipated.  Poor thing.  She will typically wander off by herself for a few minutes then casually return to the room followed by a nasty stench.  Today, she has mostly just quietly hung out by herself with her "poop face", but no luck.  I'm sure she will be fine, but it reminded me of a very funny first time parent story.

I'm sure many of you will remember this experience, but it's worth a repeat.  When Kinley was probably 2 months, maybe 3, she became extremely constipated.  It had been about a week since her last bowel movement and had started to seem uncomfortable.  The doctor recommended a suppository and said it should work quickly.  Rich was the lucky one to get to go to the story and make the big purchase.  I still remember both of us hovering over poor little Kinley and trying to figure out how to make this work.  We had to cut the suppository down, and then of course figure out how to get it to stay in her tiny bum.  We finally got it to stay and not even a minute later we heard the loudest "boom" ever, like somebody fired a shot gun by my head, loud enough that Rich and I both ducked our heads.  I wasn't quite sure what happened and clearly Rich wasn't either, so he pulled Kinley's diaper down a little to check her progress.

Right at that moment it looked as though Kinley's bum had turned into a drinking fountain and a perfect stream of very runny baby poop shot out.  It was really one of the funniest things I've ever seen.  Unfortunately for Rich, that poop had to hit somewhere, and wouldn't you know it landed right on his shorts (new shorts at that).  We were both laughing so hard we were crying.  Then the second wave hit, and more poop everywhere.  We could barely even function to get the mess cleaned up because we were laughing so hard. Did I mention the smell was absolutely awful?  I remember looking at Kinley and she just looked beyond relieved and so happy.  Aahh, the experiences of first time parents.  So if anybody is wondering, yes, I am a little hesitant to help Kinley with a suppository this time, we'll be trying several things before we resort to one of those.


3 comments:

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

That is a really funny story and we have a few like that. I have actually had to act like a human suppository and help her out. It was gross but when they are suffering you will do almost anything to get it out! The story of her funning her dolls over is so cute. I love reading your blogs because they are so well written and funny. I still sound like I am in high school and playing house. Hope Rich's new job is going good!

proudmamablogga said...

I remember that story; it's still my favorite

Janae said...

Pregnancy equals "no pooping" for me. I feel for you Kinley. Hang in there.