Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Here's your choices

We seem to operate on the "here's your choices" parenting strategy. I'm not sure if it's working, but we're committed to it. Sometimes Kinley gets to chose between to perfectly acceptable choices, like what to wear, what to play, etc. However, she primarily gets to chose between what we want her to do and the negative consequence for doing the opposite of what we want. This leads me to a great conversation with Kinley today. Kinley was trying to decide what she wanted to play this morning and exactly what I could play with her. She finally said to me, "Okay mom, here's your choices. Just so you know one of the choices is a real loser choice. You're first choice is to play princesses with me. Choice 2 is to kiss a frog, yuck. Choice 3 is to eat a poisoned apple from the mean witch and then I'll put you in a box." I'm still trying to figure out which one was the loser choice, they all seemed less than pleasant to me.


3 comments:

Kate and Cole said...

I'd choose being put in a box for sure. Sounds relaxing.

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

LOL! I would choose #2. Nothing I haven't done before!
Err... I mean, I've never kissed a frog just because my brother dared me to! Never!

Lindsey said...

That is hilarious! Apparently she's seeing right through that parenting strategy :)