Saturday, June 7, 2008

Additional thoughts from Wyoming

Dear hitchhikers near Evanston,

I could not help but notice that as I drove past you, you both looked deeply disappointed that I did not stop to pick you up.  Your well thought out sign of "fallen on hard times, need help" nearly had me, but alas, I did not stop.  I would like to take a minute and explain exactly why I did not pick you up.

First, neither of you looked as though you had bathed in a few days and I couldn't help but imagine that there was most likely a certain stench around you.  I am sure that is rude of me, but I'm not big on smells.  The second problem was that there were 2 of you and only 1 little old me...not to mention you were complete strangers and looked a bit "crazy", though that could have merely been the uncleanly appearance about you.  The last, and most important reason, the enormous black dog with you.  If I could give you one bit of advice, it would be to hitch hike without the giant dog, most people don't want a giant dog inside their car with 2 strangers.

In an effort to make you more appreciative of your circumstances, let me tell you what happened shortly after passing you.  My sweet little daughter started pointing to all of the rocks and very loudly proclaiming "wock".  Now you can imagine how long this went on seeings how the majority of I-80 near Evanston is filled with "wocks".  Some how during this fun adventure she learned that if she plugged her ears she could yell a lot louder...so much fun for all of us.

So now I bid you farewell and wish you good luck on your trek, I certainly do hope somebody gave you a lift.

Sincerely,

Concerned citizen in the blue car

3 comments:

Janae said...

You are too funny. I actually used to pick up hitch hikers. I know, what was I thinking? Now as a Mom, no way will I pick someone up. Too risky. However, Jon ran out of gas once and had to walk over a mile home in a blizzard and no one stopped for him. He doesn't stink, no dog, and no sign. Kind of sad story.

Lindsey said...

That's so funny! Do people actually pick up hitchhikers anymore? You'd really have to be nuts. Good luck with your moving; give us a call next time you're down our way!

Jess's Journey to the Land Of Skinny said...

I picked up a hitchhiker once with Josh and Kenny in the car. Josh sat in back with her and the hitchhiker sat up front with me. Josh was not happy but I felt so bad for the and had a feeling I should pick him up. The ride only lasted like 35 min but I was pretty nervous the whole time. Now I have no room to pick anyone up in our little car. If he would have had a huge dog with him then I would never have done it. I hate the smell of dirty dog.