Well, said co-worker asked for my assistance in trying to get her donor under control. I was talking to her, got her an ice pack, and we were trying to calm her down. Things quickly turned from bad to worse when it became obvious she was going to vomit, scratch that, projectile vomit. She said, "I feel sick to my stomach" and I just knew what was coming next. I did what I thought was a "reasonable" reaction and tried to dart out of the way. However, I inadvertently grabbed my co-worker and used her as a shield. I assure you, this was an accident, but still, like I was going to stand there and let her vomit on me, see, reasonable reaction. It's worth mentioning that the majority of the vomit went on the donor and mere splashes hit my co-worker who simply changed her lab coat and was rid of the "sick" as she called it. Yep, the donor actually said she was sorry she got her sick on her lab coat.
Now, flash forward to 18 months into motherhood. Kinley has been battling a cold for a few days and some how managed to get the "sicks" yesterday. She threw up twice. The first time was no big deal, on the tile, wiped up no problem. The second, we had been playing catch with her favorite pink soccer ball when she bent over, puked down the front of her and on the tile, bounced her ball in it, then barfed all over the ball. Now, some how I was not completely repulsed as a normal person would be. I of course ran to her, got her shirt off, washed the vomit off her hands, and set to cleaning up the mess. Now, good old Marlyce would have chucked that soccer ball in the trash immediately, but the new and disgusting Marlyce, knowing how much my daughter loves it, gave it a good wash and ended up playing catch with it later, however, it does have a hint of vomit smell. The sad part, I wasn't really all that grossed out. What happened to me? Has motherhood made me disgusting? One of "those people"? I should also mention that in a moment of urgent need and no tissue close by, I used my finger to wipe the snot from Kinley's face and wiped it on my pants. Not to mention, I asked her for a kiss yesterday, not noticing that her upper lip was covered in snot, and I got a snot kiss. Oh dear, is there a cure for this?
So I leave this question, has motherhood made me a disgusting animal? I actually think that love has just blinded my eyes to these disgusting situations. And, in my defense, I was the first one to let her know how bad her breath smelled after she puked, and thank heavens she likes to brush her teeth cause it took some good scrubbing to get that stank off.
11 comments:
I first realized how being a mother makes you put up with and do absolutely disgusting things you otherwise would not, when I ate something Dallin had spit out into my hand when there was nothing else to to with it!! I don't remember the circumstances, but I do remember how I could not believe I had just done that!
I agree with your assesment of the situation. You are blinded by love at the disgusting things that us humans are capable of.
We just went throught the "sicks" here, so it all sounds so familiar. Although I think it's a mom thing, Travis still has to muscle through the "sicks" but I could never smell some of the breath he has to each day so it's a fair trade (or is it?)
Love the story-self preservation is perfectly o.k.
As always, love the post! And I have pondered that question many times over. It still grosses me out to wipe other kids' snot, but I will do my own kids' in a heartbeat. Go figure. It's definitely a love thing;)
I just have to say it is only because she is your flesh and blood. I thought I was over the gagging of poopy diapers until I tried to change my nephews and the gags just kept on coming. Sadly enough not cured but great to know that my daughter could do nearly anything and I won't be sick. Interesting!
I think it's also a matter of survival. I never thought I could sleep in sheets with baby spit up on them, but if I didn't, I'd be changing the sheets five times a night and getting even less sleep than I am now. I just put a waterproof mattress pad on and deal with it :)
That is so funny, I had a good laugh with that post, probably because I think those things have happened to all mothers and you do just deal with it. So I gues being a mother makes us all disgusting, so it's not that bad cause your not the only one. Hope Kinley is feeling better though.
Motherhood changes us beyond what we'd ever expect. I've found that with two kids I've even changed more. I bet that's what happens the more kids you have. I'm just proud of you for not shielding yourself from Kinley and making her clean it up herself. Now, that would truly have been disguisting!
Yes motherhood has made you disgusting! This is not the same person that refuses to let her feet tough a hotel floor. All I can say is aren't we so lucky to be so disgusting!!! If it weren't for these wonderful darling children we wouldn't have an excuse to be disgusting and we would be our some boring selves, afraid of a little poop and snot. Isn't it great that we now can post an entire entry about the disgusting stuff we do, and love it!!!
Oh, I am so proud. You should celebrate this milestone.
You must be a super Mom. I gag when ever my kids throw-up. You just feel so bad for them. Josie had the flu once and we made her carry a cup with her because she never made it to the tile! Good for you to clean the soccer ball.
Hey, Marlyce. I saw your blog linked on someone else's blog and was curious what you were up to now... I loved your story. It made me laugh and also feel better about similar situations with my 13 month-old!
-Liz Parnell Carr
Post a Comment